Est 1950

 

 

 

 

 

Home
Club News
Club Info
History
Image Gallery
Events
For Sale
Join LSC
Club Directory
Contact 

 

Welcome to the History section. Below documents the many events that has made the London Sidecar Club what it is today. Notes run up to 1986. Notes from 1987 to the present day will be completed soon. Notes compiled by club archivist Ray Jackson.
 

The club was originally known as the ‘PANTHER OWNERS CLUB (HOME COUNTIES) and from the records it was another ‘group’ of the Panthers owners club.. The rent for the clubroom was 21 shillings per quarter paid for by subs set at a shilling to join and 5 shillings per year. All club runs had a short and long route because of the petrol situation. The first set of rules was taken from the ‘London touring club’. The club was made up of different geographical areas of London each section holding there own runs to which the other sections were invited.

The first AGM took place in June and was attended by 46 of the 50 members in the club.

1951

The first change of clubroom took place in Feb  moving to the ‘Rising Sun public house’ in Garter Lane, Ludgate Hill. In Nov the LE Velo owners club were the guests at a club night seemingly enjoyed by all present. The first ‘Holly run’ a club tradition every since was held in Dec.

1952

Another change of clubroom in Feb  to the ‘Crown & Sugar loaf public house’ in Garlick Hill Mansion house. This to be the last move for many years. The AGM announce that Club funds stood at £10-2s-0d. The programme for the following year was very impressive with:-the first Sunday in the month being allocated for short runs, with the third Sunday for long runs, the forth Sunday for places of interest, the fifth Sunday of which there were three for race meetings. This meeting also decided that the Club could not accept members with other make of  machines but could be accepted as ‘friends’.

Mr Marions of ‘Phelon & Moore’ (the manufacturers of Panthers) was elected Club President.

 The first club one day rally took place in June at Gustard Wood with a Ladies v Gents cricket match and Concours de Elegance as a part of the programme.

1953

The first club magazine called the ‘Panther Gazette’ was published quarterly at 1 shillings per copy. The first edition sold 29 copies.

 A model 100 engine was presented to the club by Phelon & Moore for demonstration purposes. Many club nights in the next five years or so were on stripping this engine.

1955

The first change in rules allowing non Panther owners to continue membership was  passed as three existing committee now had other marques.

1956.

Our longest serving Life member Les High joined. Les held most posts within the club over the next 20 years or so. Petrol rationing came into force in Dec which led to a curtailment of club runs Including a proposed visit to the Hendon school of motoring.

1958.

The Fed was formed and the club was present at the first meeting in Cambridge, but there was a reluctance for the club to affiliate even though many members were involved in its early years.

1959.

The first increase in subscriptions to 7s-6d was introduced. This stood until the early seventies when it was increased to 40p because of introduction of decimal currency.

Membership through the late fifties held at about 50 but the number of non Panther Owners continued to increase along with car ownership.

1961

The 12th AGM in 1961 led to a desire for a change of name to better reflect the make up of the club. Eight names were originally suggested of which three were voted on.

The names were as follows:-

The Panther and Associates Sidecar club.

The Panther and Associates Motoring club.

The Panther Family club.

A large majority choose the P.A.S.C.

 A event took place on a club run which is still remembered today when Les Faulkner a founder member receive a snake bite and due to a reaction to the serum he became seriously ill. Les never recovered.

The Les Faulkner memorial trophy was insigngated. This trophy is still given annually to the best club member.

 Our current longest serving member Ken Crisp joined and quickly became involved in club and Fed activities. His support continues to this day.

1962

The club joined the Federation of Sidecars (FED)

One of the big events of 1963 was the decision to make Tea cosy’s for the Mrs Feathers Trophy.

1965.

A move to a new clubroom at Universal youth centre (Repton) in Bethnel Green. The club continued to grow with a influx of new members with children.

These included Bob & Joanne White, Colin & Anita Bembridge, Charlie & Maureen Sharpe,  Jim & Beryl Anker  to name just a few.

The club belonged to the southern section (area 4) of the Fed. 21 clubs were in this section which was by far the biggest and most successful. but it did lead to a degree of resentment in other sections.

Due to a lack of support for the concours at the day rally, it was suggested that the rally should  become a 2 day camping event. The first rally to this format took place in Sept 1968 at Debden Green.

The club moved from Bethnal green in 1971. A number of clubrooms were home before the move to the ’59 Club’ in 1974, which was to be the club’s base for many years.

 A popular event thoughout the next 20 years was the ‘Club holiday’ which was always well Attended, with Norfolk and Devon being the normal venue.

 The club won the ‘Canterbury cup’ at the Fed rally in 1972 & 1973.

A proposal to auction the ‘Club engine’ was not carried and also a approach for the engine to be on permanent loan to the Science museum was rejected by them.

The eventual fate of the engine is not recorded?.

 Due to some dissatisfaction with Debden the rally was moved to the ‘Essex showground’ near Chelmsford in 1974 for an inclusive fee of £66.

The following years event was badly effected by a gale.

1975 

The formation of the new ‘Panther Owners club'. They became known as the Midland Panther owners club to avoid confusion with us.

The 1976 rally moved to a green field site in Billericay. The following years rally was the last open event to be held due to some rowdy behaviour.

The 1978 rally was cancelled at the last moment but a small camping weekend took place attended by mainly overseas members who could not be contacted in time.

1979 saw the rally return to Debden and the first ‘Sidecars are fun’ button badges which were to have such a big impact.

 The early eighties saw a slight decrease in membership. The club purchased a large marquee for use at our rally. This proved to be one of the best asset the club ever bought. The Federation’s Silver Jubilee meeting  in 1983 at De Haan in Holland was well attended by Club members.

By 1985 there was a growing feeling that the club name was holding it back.

The name changed twice in 1986 after a disputed referendum. The original choice of  ‘Capital City Sidecars’ was overturned after a heated EGM led to another vote with only one nomination put forward. The ‘London Sidecar Club’.

 © 2007 LSC - Website compiled for London Sidecar Club by Ted Cheer
www.londonsidecarclub.co.uk